This week saw our annual STEM event for the whole school, with a Design & Technology focus. In Year 4, this was lived out through the planning, designing, making and evaluating of a propeller that would help an item fly!
We launched our new Topic this week as well, looking at indigenous tribes in English through the story of the Vanishing Rainforest; and then the human impact on the Amazon rainforest in Geography. Our grammar focus this week was direct speech, with the children writing a sequel to the story based 20 years on from the events in the book.
Place value was our focus for maths, with the children learning place value up to tenths and hundreths. Here are the sheets:
- English: Our next text focus is The Explorer by Katherine Rundell. We will be writing an adventure narrative – inspired by this exciting adventure story! Next week we’ll be looking closely at setting description and really honing in on the use of coordinating and subordinating conjunctions.
- Maths: Continuing with place value of decimal numbers.
- Handwriting & Spelling: Our handwriting focus is Introducing diagonal joins from p and b, no ascender: bu, bi, be. Our spelling words are: build, busy, bicycle, biology, believe, remember.
- Guided Reading: Our text for the half term is The Firework Makers Daughter by Philip Pullman. You can find an overview of the story and fun activities to compliment our lessons here.
- PSHE: Resolving conflict.
- Science: Moving forwards with our learning of what the elements of a plant are (roots, stem, leaves, flower etc.) we are going to be planting a seed each! All resource will be provided by the school.
Key vocabulary for this term: plants, flowers, grown, roots, seed, stem, trunk, nutrients, soil, climate, life cycle, pollen, biomes, pollination, vegetation, dispersal, fertiliser, volcano, earthquake.
Jasmine Challenge Week 1: Seated Balance
Alternative Challenge Week 1: Get Set Indoor Activities
Key information for Year 4:
CHILDREN MUST BRING THEIR PE KITS IN FOR PE LESSONS.
- Amazon: PE on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Nile: PE on Mondays and Thursdays.
- Thames: PE on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
- Children must bring in a PE kit for PE lessons. One session is outside so it is important they have appropriate clothing.
- Children in KS2 may bring in a healthy snack that contains no nuts.