We journeyed along with Odysseus this week, from the Sirens we found ourselves choosing between the whirling vortex of Charybdis and the 6-headed Scylla! Using sentence openers to develop our writing, we worked up to writing a ships log on Friday in the form of Odysseus’ diary entry. Some of our sentence openers included:
- As quick as a flash,
- Before the Scylla could see us,
- Feeling terrified,
- Like the leader I was,
Can your child finish these sentences for you? It’s a great way to practice their understanding of the purpose of different sentence openers at home!
Maths was a continuation of 4 digit numbers, incorporating the skills of ordering and comparing the numbers by:
- Ordering 4-digit numbers from smallest to largest and vice versa
- Using greater than (>), less than (<) and equal to (=) signs to compare numbers
You can find our worksheets for the week below:
You may have heard – one of the most exciting parts of our week was getting to make the clay pots we designed in topic last week out of clay!
- English – Writing the next chapter of Odysseus’ adventure – of their own making!
- Maths – Rounding to the nearest 10, 100, 1000.
- Guided Reading – Perceus & Medusa
- Topic – Painting the wonderful clay pots we made last week!
- Science –Continuing with our learning of Greek philosophers onto Hippocrates and the Hippocratic Oath that doctors still swear by today.
- PSHE – Looking at what bullying is and the impact it has.
- Handwriting – Our handwriting focus will be introducing diagonal joins from p and b, to an anticlockwise letter: pa, pe, ba, bo. Our spelling words are: particular, separate, peculiar, perhaps, embarrass, probable, bottle, board.
Key Information for Year 4:
New timings from Monday: 8:35-8:45 and 3:10-3:20. Please read the Parent Protocol that was sent out for more information.
- Please make sure that children have appropriate clothing for the cold weather. Our PE sessions are usually outside so children must have a change of shoes, long trousers and jumper to take part in the lesson.
- P.E. for Amazon: apologies for the change again but we are adapting the timetable to fit the needs of all classes – PE is now on Mondays and Wednesdays as it was originally.
- P.E. for Nile: Tuesdays and Wednesdays
- P.E. for Thames: Mondays and Thursdays
- Reading books and reading records are given out on Tuesdays to be returned by the Friday of that week or the following week.
- Purple Mash & Mathletics usernames and passwords are in your children’s reading records.
- Children in KS2 are able to bring their own healthy snacks in for breaktime.Packaged snacks (e.g. YoYo Bears) are not permitted, nor are items containing nuts. We have a no nut policy in school. Snacks are not provided for children in KS2.