This week’s learning in Year 3
This has been a very exciting week of Christmas celebrations! We had a disco on Tuesday, where we enjoyed dancing away to our favourite Christmas tunes, we created some beautiful Christmas crafts, and we reflected on our fantastic learning this term.
Mrs Tutchener also has some exciting news – she has given birth to a beautiful baby boy, Joseph! Thank you for making Ms Fisher feel so welcome as Maple’s new class teacher.
In English, we focused on using direct speech by writing narratives based on Christmas-themed pictures. It would be wonderful if you could continue practicing this over the Christmas holidays by encouraging your child to write stories with inverted commas for speech between characters.
We have been playing some great maths games this week, including ‘Don’t Roll a Six’ and ‘Naughty or Nice’, which have helped us to practice mental addition and comparing place value digits.
Christmas Holiday Learning
Below are a few links to some useful online learning sites if needed over the holidays:
- Recommended reads for Y3: https://www.booksfortopics.com/year-3
- https://readtheory.org/– a free resource for comprehension practice
- Reading question prompts when reading with your child – https://www.sandalcastleprimary.co.uk/uploads/sandal_castle_primary/files/KS2_Reading_Prompts.pdf
- Encouraging writing for pleasure – this could be a shopping list, diary, writing birthday cards etc.
- Reading for pleasure to immerse your child in rich vocabulary
- Spelling high frequency words: https://linguisticphonics.files.wordpress.com/2020/03/letters-and-sounds-first-100-high-frequency-words-1.pdf
- Spelling Frame – has games and printables based on age-appropriate spelling words: https://spellingframe.co.uk/
- TTRS or NumBots – your children have logins for these that were given out at the beginning of the year – please ask your class teacher if this has been misplaced
- Times table recall practice
- Games https://www.rodeandnortonschoolfederation.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Dice-Games-1.pdf
A reminder that Spring term begins on Thursday 5th January.
Our new project will be Stone Age to Iron Age, which is very exciting. In maths, we will be learning about mental addition and subtraction, followed by multiplication. In STEM, we will be learning about forces and magnets, and our new guided reading book will be Stig of the Dump by Clive King.
We wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Year 3 Team