What a wonderful first week back we have had. We have been blown away by the brilliant learning that we have seen!
In English, we have been focusing on recapping our spelling rules (-ed, -ing, -ly). We used the book ‘Never tickle a tiger’ as inspiration and wrote some powerful sentences focusing on adjectives and adverbs. At the end of the week, we put all of our spelling learning into practice and wrote an extended piece of writing about an adventure. The children have loved working on their spelling this week and have enjoyed practicing as part of our Spring term spelling challenge.
In Maths, we began the week by looking at grouping objects. After we explored multiplication and the associated repeated addition (e.g. 3 x 4 and 3 + 3 + 3 + 3). To practice this, we began by using practical resources (the coins were a favorite) and then progressed on to group and independent journaling. The Maths sheets for the week are attached: Maths Spring 2 Week 1
In Phonics, we have been focusing on the different spellings of the sounds /or/. These spellings are or, aw, a, ar, au, al.
We have launched our new topic: Zoology!! The children have been exploring our topic through the learning street and through our topic lessons. In our Topic lessons, we learnt about the African Savanna. We explored the features of the habitat, looked at the challenges faced by the animals that live there and the steps that we can take to protect the environment! It was wonderful to hear the inspiring solutions that the children created, we cannot wait to see how their ideas develop over the half term.
In Science, we have been learning about habitats closer to home. We used the outside areas and the allotment to go on a minibeast hunt!
We have started our tennis unit this half-term. We practised rolling and catching. This is an activity you could try at home. You just need one ball and two people.
In English, we are going to continue to use ‘Never tickle a tiger’ as inspiration. We are going to be using the book to recreate our own stories.
In Maths, we are going to be focusing on the connections between the 2, 5 and 10 times tables.
In Science, we are going to be focusing on woodlice. We are going to explore their habitat and create our own woodlice cities!
Notices for next week:
- Please make sure that all children are brining a full PE kit to school (we have indoor and outdoor PE every week).
- We have noticed some children are not wearing appropriate uniform so please can you help us reinforce this message:
- Only stud earrings
- No boots
- Snood scarves NOT to be worn in school – but can be out in playground. These should be blue, yellow, green, light blue or purple.
- Headbands should be school colours.
- Socks – grey white or black.
- Jumpers should have a school logo on them.
- We are continuing with our Spring spelling challenge this half term – focusing on the Year 2 high frequency words.
- Spelling checklist sheet