In Phonics this week, we have been focusing on one spelling different sound- ‘o’ sound spelt /o/ (as in frog) and /oe/ (as in go). Please continue to read your child’s phonics book daily at home.
Books will be changed on Friday 15 th December.
In English this week, we have continued to explore maps, with a focus on our school and the areas within it. We wrote sentences using an adjective to describe a noun and challenged ourselves to extend it with the word ‘because’. You could continue with this at home, ask your child to describe their favorite part of their home and explain why?
In Maths, we have been writing maths stories, solving addition problems, subtraction and identifying the fact family for 8. We focused on applying the mathematical language of: First, then, now, altogether, subtraction, addition and part/whole. Please continue to support using this vocabulary.
- In Phonics, we will be continuing to learn the one spelling different sound /o/.
- In English, we will be continuing our learning on non-fiction writing and thinking about class.
- In Maths, we will be continuing to learn about subtraction.
- Numbots is an educational app which many children enjoy and can be very effective in supporting their understanding of number. You should have received a username and password for your child to access Numbots. Please spend some time exploring Numbots together at home and speak to your child’s class teacher if you need support with this.
- Another great online tool for learning is a website called PhonicsPlay ,which contains free resources for you and your child to look through together.
- Keep up practice of the basics together – counting up to bigger numbers is always good practice; as is reciting number bonds – 10
- Other information
- Date for your diary- Family Friday 15th December 8.30-9.00am
- Last day of term- Wednesday 20th December at 1.15pm
Wishing you all a restful and safe weekend,
The Year 1 Team